Private Photography Lessons
“You can watch a video, but that’s information, not true experience…”
“Earn It – by actually doing it…”
Photography is not an “overnight” skill. Like any other craft, it takes a genuine desire, and effort to master. And, it takes time…Make no mistake, watching tutorials on the internet is great. Youtube is, without a doubt, my friend. But there is absolutely nothing like hands-on experience with a knowledgeable guide at your side. Dealing with natural elements, weather, tides, the sun, and moon, it takes planning and experience to do it right…(and safely)
I conduct well over 100 private lessons a year. Participants really enjoy the personal instruction afforded in this type of training. These private photography lessons are focused on introducing you to the operation, techniques, and concepts of digital photography in the outdoors. I will show you how to work with your camera’s features to take you forward in serious photography. With these skills, you will make better photos of any subject and get more enjoyment while you learn your craft. Who knows where it will take you?
My forte is outdoor/nature photography and all lessons are in the field. Outdoor photography has a lot of challenges. Nature is in control of the light, weather and a myriad of other circumstances. You need to know your subject, what to look for and when to be there. As a professional at your side, I will give you the insight and guidance required to help you get the most out of your photography. From photographic techniques to suggestions of what kind of gear to invest in and how to use it, I’m right there to guide you. After your session, I am always available to my clients as a resource. Alumni also enjoy real-time collaboration on the internet for instruction and guidance on editing their photos using Lightroom and Photoshop. Deep discounts are also policy for my Alumni.
Each location I have selected are in relation to a topic covered and to present photographic challenges which you are likely to encounter when on your own. Most lessons will take place in the San Francisco Bay area. If you live in the area, most locations will be within an hour or so drive. Of course, you can make your own selection for a location too. Just let me know and we’ll make arrangements.
Suggested Locations Include: Sausalito/Marin Headlands; Mt Tamalpais; Point Reyes; Marin, Mendocino, San Mateo & Sonoma Coasts; Wine Country; the greater San Francisco Bay Area and beyond.
Who takes my classes? You Should! and…I have repeat clients from all over the world.
- Beginners – who need an introduction to their new cameras and to photography basics. (See Levels 1 thru 4 below)
- Novices and Seasoned Photographers – who want to enhance, review and or refresh their skills.
My private tutoring sessions are specifically tailored to you. As such, the number of topics we cover depends greatly upon what you want and at a pace that you find comfortable. Sessions are offered between 3 to 6 hour blocks with options of 2-hour incremental additions. On the sign-up page, you can select a date and suggested a location that you like best. You can keep it short or make a day of it. It’s about you and what you want to learn. By the way, if you have a location and/or topic you’d rather try, let me know, I’m into this as much as you are!
Private Lessons Offered
Level 1: Learning your camera
- Camera Setup
- Image formats, Color Space
- Aperture, Shutter, Manual, Auto
- How To Use The Histogram
Level 4: The Full Package
- All Lessons in Levels 1, 2 & 3
- Attain Intermediate Level Skill
- Multiple sessions & locations
- Customization of Sessions
- Create surrealistic images along the ocean
- Stunning sunsets and crashing surf
- Sea-stacks, eroded cliffs.
- Sea life, wildlife, or maybe even a Lighthouse?
Practical Field Exercises
- Working with light
- Selected topics
- Processing planning
Level 2: Exposure triangle
- Aperture, Shutter Speed and ISO
- Depth of field
- Tracking & Single Shot Modes
iPhone Photography – Basic
- Composition training including:
- Camera adjustments
- Exposure Control
- Editing while in the field
- Panoramas – Horizontal & Vertical
- High Dynamic Range Exposure
- Combining Pano & HDR
- Hyper-focal & Focus Stacking
Are you interested? Contact me!
*This is bit specialized in both
technique and gear
Level 3: Working with Light
- Composition techniques
- Intro to The “Zone System”
- Bracketing, HDR, & Filters
- Working with Tonality
iPhone Photography – Advanced
- Composition techniques
- Editing your photos in Lightroom CC
- Adding detail & special effects
- Sync your photos with your other platforms
A La Carte – Mix it up!
- Pick any 4 topics or more!
- Use this if you’re unsure about topics
- Thinking of another topic not listed?
- Have a different location in mind?